Monday, February 22, 2010

Makin' Stuff Monday: Sewing- 2 Layer Baby Blanket

To begin my sewing tutorials... this is probably the easiest thing I can think of! The steps used to make this blanket can be used on a larger scale or a smaller scale to make all kinds of things from throw blankets to burp cloths. This is also the method I would use to make a pillow case... and I will use some of these techniques in upcoming projects.

These blankets are great because they are bigger than the typical store bought receiving blanket and we use them all the time. They provide a little more warmth without being too bulky. They are easy to customize and make great gifts!


2-Layer Baby Blanket Tutorial

Start with 2 fabrics. I love the combination of flannel and cotton. You will need 1 yard of each.
You will also need scissors, coordinating thread, sewing machine and pins.

I will be totally honest and say that I don't often pre-wash my fabrics. I have never had a problem with shrinkage on simple projects. If it is a very involved or detailed project I pre-wash... but for these, I don't!




Start by laying your fabrics together with the right side in. If you need to trim them so they are the same size or remove the selvages this is the time to do that!










Pin the blankets together (right sides in).













Stitch all the way around all four sides, leaving a 6 inch opening on one side. Try not to leave your opening in a corner as this makes it a little more difficult to finish.










Trim off the point on each corner making sure not to cut into the stitching. This will help your corners lay flat.











Flip the blanket right side out through the opening.
Press out the corners using a pencil or chopstick.











Pin the opening closed... sometimes I press this with the iron... other times I skip this step if I can get a good fold without pressing.











Using a 1/4 in. seam allowance, stitch all the way around the blanket. This will close that opening and give the blanket some stability.











I like the look of a double seam, so I went around again at a 1/4 in seam allowance from the first seam. I like the way it makes the blanket look nice and finished!










Now you have a super cute, super soft two layer blanket! Yay you!

4 comments:

Kelli said...

Yay! Thanks for the sewing tutorial! And btw, I LOVE the bird fabric on your blanket... it's so cute!

Kailan said...

Thanks! That definitely seems like something I can do!

Jen said...

I made a ton of these style blankies for my son and also all the other babies that were born last summer, and while I love them I found that sometimes the fabric would pull apart in the middle and bunch up in the dryer. Another friend of mine suggested stitching a straight line diagonally across the blanket in order to keep the fabric together and this made a huge difference for me.

Liz said...

Hi Michelle - I am a new follower of your blog and love these 2 layer blankets, but do not sew! Have you thought about doing these and selling them. I have a baby shower and the end of the month and if you are interested in selling some of your creations to me I would love to buy!! Let me know if this is something you would be interested in doing. Btw - I love your blog. I tried the ribs tonight and they were great!