Friday, February 19, 2010

Fun Friday: Molten Lava Cake

So... remember how I always cook lobster for Valentines day? Well, this year I tried lobster bisque, and it turned out... um... not great. The hubby and I tried to pick out as much of the lobster as we could... but it was a bit of a bummer. So, I saved the day by whipping up my very tasty Molten Lava Cakes! What a tasty treat to make up for icky soup.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup milk chocolate chips (I used Hershey's)
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs
3 egg yolks
1 pkg. fudgy brownie mix (with a syrup packet)
2 Tbsp coffee (you won't taste it)

Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave over 60 seconds (stir once or twice during melting).

Set aside.
Combine the eggs and brownie mix in your mixer bowl and mix well (DO NOT use the syrup packet).

Add the melted chocolate/ butter mixture and coffee to the brownie mix. Run mixer on low until just blended.

*For those of you who don't have coffee, you can use hot water. I promise you won't be able to taste the coffee, it just really enhances the chocolate flavor.

Pour the batter evenly into ramekins. You can also use greased muffin tins. I prefer ramekins for ease of serving!

Place ramekins on a baking sheet and into a 400* oven. Bake 10-14 minutes.

10-12 minutes gives you a very gooey cake with a nicely done outer edge.
13-14 minutes gives you a little gooey in the middle with mostly brownie-like texture.



Place your ramekin on a plate (so you don't burn your hands) and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
I also like to drizzle the chocolate syrup on the plate before placing the ramekin for decoration. Berries make a very tasty and pretty garnish on these tasty little treats...

Sink your spoon into the tasty warm center and enjoy!!

No comments: