Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Try It Out Tuesday: Spray Cleaner

I am working on trying to live a more "green" life. Not so much because I am a tree hugger (I am just a little bit) but because I am trying to be more cautious of what I bring into the house and what products I use on my body or especially on my baby's body. So as I run out of certain products, I am trying to find better/safer/greener products to replace them with... all the while, trying to save money (there are lots of great green products out there, but they tend to be more costly).

One of the things I have been concerned about is all the cleaning products in our house! We have different products for everything (toilets, windows, sinks, counters, showers, linoleum floors, wood floors, dusting, etc.). Most of these products have chemicals I cannot pronounce and they all require "adequate" ventilation and have warnings about keeping them away from children. So I did some research and decided that I can really cut down on the number of cleaning products I use... and I can make some cleaners of my own!


All Natural Glass Cleaner
First, I have been using this for a few years now and it is better than the glass cleaners you can get in the store. You mix 1 part water with 1 part vinegar and you have an amazing glass cleaner! It works really well to use newspaper as your wiper (instead of a paper towel). Your hands get the print all over them when you use newspaper... but it really leaves a nice clean window without streaks!


All Purpose Cleaner (works on tile, showers, sinks)
3 c. water
3 T borax powder
2 T vinegar
1-2 T dish soap (I use an all natural dish soap)
a few drops of your favorite essential oil (I used lavender because it was what I had)

Combine in spray bottle and swirl to mix. Spray over surface, let sit for a minute, scrub tough spots, and wipe away. You can follow with a wet sponge if you like, but it is not necessary.I tried this just a few days ago and I LOVE it! You have to use a little elbow grease to get the tough spots, but I feel better about how natural it is!



Stay tuned for more easy to make, all natural cleaning products (and a use for the rest of the borax now that you have a whole box)!


No comments: